Developing story – will be updated
Justin Trudeau, desperate to change the channel from his long list of recent scandals – including spending his prolonged Christmas break on a billionaire’s private island in the Bahamas – shuffled his cabinet today.
Biggest news is that International Trade Minister Chrystia Freeland, best known for leaving a European trade negotiation in tears back in October, will replace Stéphane “you think it’s easy to make priorities?” Dion as Foreign Affairs Minister.
Dion is leaving politics altogether and taking a diplomatic post. So is Immigration Minister John McCallum, who will be named Canada’s ambassador to China.
- Ahmed Hussen becomes minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship.
- Maryam Monsef is demoted from Democratic Institutions to Status of Women.
- Karina Gould is now Minister of Democratic Institutions.
- François-Philippe Champagne becomes minister of International Trade.
- Patty Hajdu moves from Status of Women to Labour.
So expect the mainstream media to forget all about the recent Liberal scandals, and report only on this for the next few days.
**UPDATE** the official cabinet shuffle will take place at 2:00 PM.